I recently spent 2 days at a class put on by the Real Estate Business Institute to become a certified negotiation expert and thought it would be good to share some points made during this time. Some might just surprise you!
- Negotiations are really between the two agents and not the buyers & sellers. While the goal is for each to get the best possible outcome based on their clients’ needs and wants, the reality is that it is the two agents who are communicating with each who make it happen. How well the agents negotiate with each other can make or break it for their clients.
- In any negotiation, you need to know if the market conditions are with or against you. For example, if you are a buyer in a sellers’ market, the market may push you to make decisions quickly.
- If a deal gets “deadlocked”, sometimes taking a time-out is helpful to allow everyone to re-group and re-assess their wants and needs.
- There are always at least 2 negotiation points in a sale – the first with the offer and the 2nd after the home inspections.
- The best negotiator will focus on the fix and not the fight.
Contact me if you’d like to have a skilled negotiator working on your side to help achieve your “yes”! Donna Forest 603-526-4116, www.DonnaForest.com, Donna@DonnaForest.com.
You’ll be moving in the right direction with Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate - The Milestone Team.